As you complete the Open Water segment of your course, you will learn several important new skills.
- One is how to stay with your buddy. You should remain close enough so that you can help your buddy if needed. If you do get separated:
- Look all around for one minute, and if you do not see them, make a normal safe ascent to the surface.
- Inflate your buoyancy control device (BCD), signal the boat, and look for your buddy on the surface.
- You will also learn how to care for your equipment.
- You will learn how to wash, pack, and store it for transport and further use.
- When you rinse equipment after diving in salt water, take extra care to do a thorough job. Check hoses for signs of wear, and be careful not to damage delicate components. For example, you should be careful that no water can enter the first-stage regulator where it connects to the gas supply.
- The water you clean with should be free from dirt and sand. The gear should then be properly dried and stored.