Objective: Breathe from a freeflow regulator for at least 15 seconds.
Value: Regulators are designed to free flow if they fail. This means they will provide gas rather than shut down. If a regulator free flows, there is a simple method to breathe the flowing gas without breathing in water.
Note: If your regulator begins to free flow, make contact with your buddy, secure his or her AAS, and ascend immediately. Gas sharing is practiced separately.
How It’s Done:
- Tilt your head to the right. This ensures the regulator is not pulled from your mouth. This also minimizes the chances of your mask flooding during the activity.
- Remove the left-hand side of the regulator mouthpiece from your mouth, and rest it on your cheek.
- Press the purge button for 15 seconds to simulate the freeflow of gas.
- Breathe normally. The flowing gas will not allow water to enter.
- Check your console.
- Ascend in one of two ways.
- Signal to your buddy, and follow normal ascent procedures if you have enough gas.
- Signal to your buddy that you are out of air, share gas with your buddy, and follow the ascent procedures.
- Remember that your buddy must check his or her console during the ascent.